Joshua Baron is an Attorney at SB Legal, a criminal defense practice, based in Utah.
I connected with Josh on LinkedIn a few months ago and two things instantly stood out about him. First, his friendliness and genuine interest in the people he connects with (try it for yourself and see!), and second, how upfront and honest he is about his own experience building a law practice – from starting with very little experience, competing on price and working for next to nothing, to building a practice that he and his clients love and charging premium prices for the privilege!
Like many of the people I speak with on the podcast, Josh is definitely not afraid to share where he has gone wrong in the past and the lessons he’s learnt along the way. Listen in to learn about Josh’s experience with building a criminal law practice that both he and his clients love.
About Josh Baron
Josh Baron is a criminal defense attorney at SB Legal based in Utah. He started his criminal defense practice in 2009 after leaving a job as a city prosecutor and since then has gone on to build a business that both he and his clients love. Josh is proactive in sharing the lessons he’s learned from building his practice, including by publishing his book, The Business of Criminal Law: How to build a practice you and your clients will love. He loves building referral relationships for SB Legal business and consulting for other attorneys to do the same.
Josh and his wife have 12 children, so of course that gets a mention in the episode too!
Quotes from Josh Baron
- “There’s not a cookie cutter / everybody should follow these steps, but I hope that my firm reflects my personality, my values and my interests. We need more weird law firms that reflect the practitioners values. We don’t need more identical firms, we need firms that are weird.”
- “There’s a place for all kinds of weirdness, especially in this solo, small firm practice where you can lean in to what makes you unique and attract customers and clients that are looking for that. And maybe they don’t know that they’re looking for it, they just haven’t liked what they’ve gotten from every other legal experience that they’ve had.”
- “I shouldn’t just try to achieve a generic best outcome, I should try to figure out what this client needs and then make an outcome for them.”
- “Instead of having a preconceived idea of exactly what the fee is gonna be, what the strategy’s gonna be, all that trying to fit the client into this container that I have in my mind, going into the conversation with the client and being really open and present and listening and trying to figure out what’s best for this client, helps a lot in creating the connection that leads to wanting to work together.”
Are you ready to Do Law Differently?
If you’re serious about reshaping your firm, The Productise and Profit Program provides all the guidance and tools you need to improve your law firm.
Learn how to move from a traditional practice to a productised ecosystem and as a bonus, you might just get that quality lifestyle that you’ve been craving.
Find out when the next program starts at www.lucydickens.com.au/program
Thank you to Legally Yours
This episode is brought to you by Legally Yours, an online legal marketplace that connects clients to fixed-fee and value based pricing lawyers across Australia. For lawyers, Legally Yours also helps innovative legal professionals connect and grow by providing business support services, education, leads and connections to other lawyers who operate beyond the billable hour. To find your legal tribe, head here. For more information about membership, head here.
Your $25 discount from LawCPD
Are you a lawyer who needs CPD? I’ve teamed up with LawCPD to help make that task easier for you. LawCPD provide premium CPD for Australian lawyers and they offer much more than just another webinar. LawCPD‘s courses are online, on-demand interactive learning. LawCPD are offering Doing Law Differently listeners $25 off their first purchase using the code DLD25. There are over 100 courses across all competency areas. Visit lawcpd.com.au to find your next CPD course and make sure you use the DLD25 code for $25 off.
Like this show?
- Learn more about Doing Law Differently in my new book, It’s Time to Do Law Differently
- Please leave me a rating and review on Apple Podcasts – even one sentence helps other people to find out about the show!
- Never miss an episode – subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts or Spotify
- If you’re doing law differently and want to share your insights on the podcast, get in touch here.
- Connect with me on LinkedIn