The key to a meaningful life is living the life you want to live. In an aim to find and live out our passions and joys, many of us juggle multiple commitments. Finding the right balance between these can be a struggle. Being mindful of your competing priorities any why they are important to you is key.
Here are my tips for finding work-life balance as a working parent.
- Be aware of the changes in your life. What works today may not work next month. Priorities change. It is perfectly ok to shift the balance as and when you need to.
- Strive for overall balance; not daily balance. Life is hectic and we can’t do all the things that are important to us each day; but we can do them all over the course of a week. If I don’t spend enough time with my daughter today, I can make up for it tomorrow. What’s important is that I do make up for it. Flexibility is key.
- Let go of other people’s expectations. Say no to activities that you don’t enjoy. Don’t feel obliged to do something because someone else expects you to.
- Try to make the most of ‘wasted’ time in your day. That’s not to say you should cut out all social media or television completely, but ask yourself if that is how you want to spend your time and react accordingly.
- Make time for down time or relaxation. Balance is not about filling every minute of your day to fit everything in. You have to make time for yourself, even if it is just a 15 minute walk in the fresh air.
- Exercise. I know everyone says it, but it’s true. Endorphins make you feel good and boost your energy levels which, in turn, will help you to stay balanced.
- Sometimes good enough is good enough. Not everything has to be perfect. Your husband may not have folded the washing the way you would have liked and your kids may not have put the toys away in the same way that you do. Does it really matter? Do you really want to spend your time fixing those little things, or could it be better spent elsewhere?
I love learning about different techniques for maintaining balance. What would you add to this list?