The covid pandemic forced the world into a whole new way of thinking and for Alistair and Shona, it marked the creation of their innovative new law firm, Tend Legal.
Having the opportunity to design their firm their own way, Alistair and Shona took inspiration from creative agencies and tech companies and asked, ‘Why can’t we do that with a law firm?’.
Focusing on communication, customer service and lasting client relationships, Tend Legal talk about how dealing with a law firm can be a positive experience and how the work they do leaves them feeling excited about their clients;’ hopes and dreams.
With Alistair leaving a partnership role after 13 years and Shona returning to the workforce after ten years as a stay-at-home mother, things are surely different than they’re used to, but they manage to make it work.
This episode is brought to you by The Prepared Company.
About Tend Legal
Alistair is a commercial solicitor with a wide practice encompassing commercial, company, employment and dispute resolution. He was partner of a firm in South London for 13 years, until he left in December 2020 to start Tend Legal with his wife Shona.
Shona is a qualified solicitor, but had taken a break from practising while their children were young. At Tend, Shona is responsible for managing the accounts, marketing and general operations of the business.
Alistair & Shona live in Epsom in Surrey and have 3 children aged 11, 9 and 4.
Alistair Wells quotes
- “There was a time in law when wearing a suit made perfect sense because all of your clients were businessmen, so to communicate with them that’s what you do. It’s no different it’s just that the world is changing…we have to communicate in a much more human way and much less formal way…that’s what people expect.”
- “Coming out of lock down, the Zoom call where you saw people’s families and pets and every call would start with ‘How are you doing, … is everyone alright? That kind of human connection is really good… seeing people for who they are is really important.”
Are you ready to Do Law Differently?
If you’re serious about reshaping your firm, The Productise and Profit Program provides all the guidance and tools you need to improve your law firm.
Learn how to move from a traditional practice to a productised ecosystem and as a bonus, you might just get that quality lifestyle that you’ve been craving.
Sign up now at www.lucydickens.com.au/program
Bring your law firm into the 21st century with The Prepared Company
This episode is brought to you by The Prepared Company. The Prepared Company helps wills and estate lawyers by providing a secure white-label platform to manage and distribute their client’s digital records after they pass away. Passwords, cryptocurrency, photos, legal documents, and more – you can now provide a safe and secure way to pass your client’s data while also protecting their privacy. Mention the Doing Law Differently Podcast for 20% off your business subscription.
Like this show?
- Learn more about Doing Law Differently in my new book, It’s Time to Do Law Differently
- Please leave me a rating and review on Apple Podcasts – even one sentence helps other people to find out about the show!
- Never miss an episode – subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts or Spotify
- If you’re doing law differently and want to share your insights on the podcast, get in touch here.
- Connect with me on LinkedIn