Lucy Percy is the founder of one of my favourite estate planning law firms, Head and Heart Estate Planning. She’s joining me this week to talk about the intricacies of working with families and having sensitive conversations, the challenges of marketing to that audience and the politics behind generously sharing expert information – something that Lucy wholeheartedly embraces.
Over the few years that I’ve known Lucy, we’ve shared a first name, an area of expertise in estate planning and many late-night conversations, often about being working mums in the law.
Lucy makes a promise to her clients to deliver a pathway to a loving and secure future for their children, whatever it holds, and she fulfils that promise in myriad ways (which she explains in the episode).
We also cover the challenges of marketing our services, given that engaging an estate planner is essentially a proactive exercise as opposed to a reactive one (as it usually is when people interact with the law).
“90% of my work isn’t writing wills, it’s actually convincing my clients to walk through the door in the first place.”
It isn’t easy, but Lucy seems to have cracked it, so listen to hear her approach to marketing.
Lucy tells us about her new online course, ‘Future-Proof your Family: an Estate Planning Course’, intended to spark important conversations in real households. The video course, complete with a set of questions at the end of each module, frees up time for Lucy to deep-dive with her clients in the initial consultation rather than spending it giving them a legal education. So, it’s a value-adder but it’s also not just about business:
“It’s not a funnel for me, it’s a stand-alone product. I don’t mind if you don’t use me after using the course, I love the idea of sharing education at scale. Now that it’s been produced, it’s a wonderful way to give without losing anything.”
Finally, we touch on the topic of managing a business and a family at the same time, something I don’t talk about enough on this podcast. Lucy gives a very realistic account of her own experience and candid advice for anyone thinking of doing the same.
This episode is brought to you by Nexus Law Group and LawCPD.
About our guest
Led by Principal Lawyer, Lucy Percy, Head and Heart Estate Planning is for couples with young families wanting to take charge of their responsibilities to each other and their children.
If you’re looking for a plan tailored to the emotional and financial needs of young children who lose a parent in childhood, to provide them with security and love after your or your partner’s death then their help and advice has been specifically designed for you.
Find Lucy online
Lucy Percy quotes
- “90% of my work isn’t writing wills, it’s actually convincing my clients to walk through the door in the first place.”
- “The online course isn’t a funnel for me, it’s a stand-alone product. I don’t mind if you don’t use me after using the course, I love the idea of sharing education at scale. Now that it’s been produced, it’s a wonderful way to give without losing anything.”
- “Don’t underestimate the importance of working with only ideal clients and then the amount of work required to let them know you exist and get them in the door.”
- “Everyone experiences loss and death so the stories are everywhere.”
My new book – It’s Time To Do Law Differently
My new book It’s Time to Do Law Differently: How to Reshape Your Firm and Regain Your Life is now available! You can get your signed copy here.
In It’s Time to Do Law Differently, I share my six-step blueprint for transforming your law firm. Learn how to move from a traditional practice to a productised ecosystem and as a bonus, you might just get that quality lifestyle that you’ve been craving.
Thank you to Nexus Law Group
This episode is brought to you by Nexus Law Group. For those seeking positive career change, Nexus Law Group offers senior lawyers the freedom of sole practice with all the support and infrastructure you need so you can focus on what you do best – practising law. Contact Nexus to find out how you can take the next step towards a more rewarding legal career.
Your $25 discount from LawCPD
Are you a lawyer who needs CPD? I’ve teamed up with LawCPD to help make that task easier for you. LawCPD provide premium CPD for Australian lawyers and they offer much more than just another webinar. LawCPD‘s courses are online, on-demand interactive learning. LawCPD are offering Doing Law Differently listeners $25 off their first purchase using the code DLD25. There are over 100 courses across all competency areas. Visit lawcpd.com.au to find your next CPD course and make sure you use the DLD25 code for $25 off.
Like this show?
- Learn more about Doing Law Differently in my new book, It’s Time to Do Law Differently
- Please leave me a rating and review on Apple Podcasts – even one sentence helps other people to find out about the show!
- Never miss an episode – subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts or Spotify
- If you’re doing law differently and want to share your insights on the podcast, get in touch here.
- Connect with me on LinkedIn