Jade Briani Hopper has quite literally traded one court for another, having retired from her career as a professional tennis player to pursue her career in law. Today, Jade is an Associate at Melbourne law firm, Baker Jones where she practices in litigation and intellectual property law.
In today’s episode, Jade shares how her career in tennis equipped her with a unique skill set that has prepared her well for her future as a legal professional. Jade and I talk about how she uses her career experience in tennis, marketing and business development to challenge the conventional practice of law instead of accepting the status quo.
Here’s a summary of the things we talk about:
2:28 Jade’s journey so far – studying law while travelling the world as a professional tennis player
5:24 Making the decision to retire from professional tennis in favour of a career in law
7:54 Parallels between a career in tennis and career in law
12:00 “One life, so many lives” – being more than “just” a law student, tennis player or lawyer
18:00 Doing Law Differently at Baker Jones
22:46 Marketing and business development skills
24:38 Jade’s advice for someone who wants to do law differently: be yourself
- Connect with Jade on Linkedin and Instagram
- Download my latest e-book, 80 ways to modernise your law firm, full of short, sharp and practical tips to help you firm your foundations, sort your strategy and optimise your operations
- Subscribe to Doing Law Differently on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts or Spotify
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Are you keen to share how you’re Doing Law Differently? Get in touch here.