Melissa Lyon is a Business Development and Innovation Specialist committed to ‘changing things up’ in the law. She has many years of experience in legal practice, including as partner of a law firm, and now works with Hive Legal, an innovative NewLaw firm.
Melissa has become a bit of a guru in applying design thinking to legal innovation and generously shares her knowledge and experience with the profession.
Here’s a summary of the things we talk about:
2:34 That awesome job title – “Business Development and Innovation Specialist”
3:51 Innovation comes from everywhere
5:10 Let’s tackle design thinking … what is it?
6:09 HiveThinkP – improving the experience for clients and team members
6:40 3 parts to design thinking – part 1 – empathy
7:31 Part 2 – collaboration
10:03 Part 3 – experimentation
11:00 The design thinking process
12:59 “Build to think”
15:19 You have to live with ambiguity
16:23 Design thinking in action – document design example
24:06 Understanding “Designer Firms”
29:35 Why you should start again …
- Hive Legal, Hive on LinkedIn, Melissa Lyon on LinkedIn
- Legal Design Thinking and Doing – Mel’s video series for the Centre for Legal Innovation
- Subscribe to Doing Law Differently on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts or Spotify
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Want to share how you’re Doing Law Differently? Get in touch here.