Early in my career I was happy to say, “Yea, we all get on well, we’re respectful, we’re kind, and that’s enough!” But it isn’t. I now know, when it comes to company culture, that we have to be really intentional about designing it.
No one understands this better than Justine Lamond, National Marketing and Business Development Manager with Nexus Law Group and, fortunately for us, today’s guest.
As a networked law firm, Nexus is all about creating freedom for its employees – Nexus lawyers work when and where they want, define their own billing models and benefit from a national support network.
This might leave some wondering how they tie it all together. The answer? An extraordinary culture.
Justine’s largest responsibility – and the focus of this episode – has to do with defining the company’s values and bringing that culture to life. With this experience comes both practical and theoretical insights (which we go into in great depth for a 25-minute episode) and will be really helpful for anyone looking to boost their company’s sense of community and for my listeners who are seeking a job in a company that shares their values.
Justine leaves no stone unturned, no term unexplained and no room for doubt when it comes to what she means about company culture. Our conversation goes something like this:
- The importance of building a constructive culture and the consequences of not doing so (Justine makes a very compelling business case for taking culture seriously)
- Nexus’ specific values and exactly what Justine does to make them concrete and universal
- Finally, we speak more generally about what a supportive environment looks like and brush on the impact of all this on client on-boarding and retention
As Justine puts it, “We’ve all been in a job at some point in our careers where the culture was toxic. You just think, ‘Why am I here? What’s the benefit in me being here when I could be doing something else?’”
About our guest
Justine Lamond is a communications professional with extensive corporate and financial experience gained through over two decade’s experience in Australia and the UK; with over 15 years working in agencies and seven in-house. She has corporate, financial and investor relations communications experience across numerous sectors including public and private, B2B, financial services, life sciences and healthcare, consumer and IT.
To learn more about Nexus, listen to episode 20 where I interviewed Principal Marcus McCarthy.
Justine Lamond quotes
- “We’ve all been in a job at some point in our careers where the culture was toxic. You just think, ‘Why am I here? What’s the benefit in me being here when I could be doing something else?’”
- “Defining who you are and what your values are is a way of communicating to your audience – your clients, your stakeholders and your peers – this is who I am, what I value and how I do my business.”
- “It’s important to be true to who you are because it’s too exhausting to be anything else.”
- “People don’t leave organisations they leave people and cultures.”
- “An unsupportive culture will bring down a company. No matter how big or how small – over time, it will bring down your company because you’re creating an environment where no one wants to work. It’s really that simple.”
My new book – It’s Time To Do Law Differently
My new book It’s Time to Do Law Differently: How to Reshape Your Firm and Regain Your Life is now available! You can get your signed copy here.
In It’s Time to Do Law Differently, I share my six-step blueprint for transforming your law firm. Learn how to move from a traditional practice to a productised ecosystem and as a bonus, you might just get that quality lifestyle that you’ve been craving.
Thank you to Nexus Law Group
This episode is brought to you by Nexus Law Group. For those seeking positive career change, Nexus Law Group offers senior lawyers the freedom of sole practice with all the support and infrastructure you need so you can focus on what you do best – practising law. Contact Nexus to find out how you can take the next step towards a more rewarding legal career. Find out more on the Join Us page at nexuslawyers.com.au.
Your $25 discount from LawCPD
Are you a lawyer who needs CPD? I’ve teamed up with LawCPD to help make that task easier for you. LawCPD provide premium CPD for Australian lawyers and they offer much more than just another webinar. LawCPD‘s courses are online, on-demand interactive learning. LawCPD are offering Doing Law Differently listeners $25 off their first purchase using the code DLD25. There are over 100 courses across all competency areas. Visit lawcpd.com.au to find your next CPD course and make sure you use the DLD25 code for $25 off.
Like this show?
- Learn more about Doing Law Differently in my new book, It’s Time to Do Law Differently
- Please leave me a rating and review on Apple Podcasts – even one sentence helps other people to find out about the show!
- Never miss an episode – subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts or Spotify
- If you’re doing law differently and want to share your insights on the podcast, get in touch here.
- Connect with me on LinkedIn