Early May marked my 10-year anniversary at Birman & Ride. I’m quite often asked about my career journey and about what I do in my job so thought this ten-year anniversary marked a nice occasion to share some reflections about my career and how I’ve been doing law differently.
In this episode, I share some of those reflections and answer some questions sent to me by listeners.
Here’s the summary:
- The obvious place to start is at the beginning. My career started as a Legal Executive – a part-time law clerk in a permanent position, handling “real” work from the get go.
- A common theme has been the constant support, coaching and mentoring, especially from my supervising partner, Michael. I’ve come to learn that this isn’t as common as it should be so I don’t take it for granted.
- Who knew I’d become somewhat of a law-tech pro! ContactsLaw is our practice management software we’ve developed in-house over the last decade. It is the best piece of technology I’ve ever used and I’ve been lucky enough to help design it.
- #babiesatwork – taking my newborn babies to work with me was another unexpected, but totally transformative experience.
- When the penny dropped about how the skills I developed and hobbies I enjoyed outside of work could unintentionally bring so many benefits to my career.
- Learning the importance of time off, blank space and reflection. As much as I’m a “doer”, it can’t be all about doing.
- Why strengths-based working is the best way.
- How I knew which direction to head.
- Navigating obstacles and cultivating confidence within.
- My commitment to do law differently in the broader profession, not just within the walls of the firm.
I’d love to hear some of your career reflections. My challenge to you is to think of 3 points in your career that have been pivotal moments for you. Why were they pivotal and what did you learn? Send me a message on LinkedIn and let me know, I’d love to hear.
- Download my latest e-book, 80 ways to modernise your law firm, full of short, sharp and practical tips to help you firm your foundations, sort your strategy and optimise your operations
- Subscribe to Doing Law Differently on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts or Spotify
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Are you keen to share how you’re Doing Law Differently? Get in touch here.